Monday, April 20, 2009

Fish Beanbags

I made these out of felt. I had ten in all - two of each color for the base. So, two reds... each with a different accent color. Then, I had five of them swimming one direction as a "school" and the other five (one of each color) facing the other direction. These can be used for SO many things.

I taught a week of preschool about fish and the ocean. During circle time, I would toss a fish to a child that had something to say. We talked about schools of fish, and how we are like a school of fish and always stay with our group (good before a field trip). We talked about the different colors. For example, which one is red and orange? Which one is green and red? Before I made them, I planned out how the colors would work so there were no two fish with the same two colors.
We got partners and tossed the fish back and forth, getting further apart as we went. Sometimes I think gross motor skills are overlooked.
We used these with almost every fish song we sang that day:

1. One little, two little, three little fishies, four little, five little, six little fishies, seven little, eight little, nine little fishies, ten little fishies in the sea.

2. One, two, three, four, five... Once I caught a fish alive.
Six, seven, eight, nine, ten... Then I let him go again.
Why did you let him go?
Because he bit my finger so.
Which finger did he bite?
This little finger, on the right.

3. Five little fishies swimmin' in the sea,
Splishin' and a splashin'...happy as can be,
Along comes mister shark, quiet as can be (whisper)
And SNAPPED (loudly) that______ (color)fish right out of the sea!

No comments: